Thursday, August 11

Our Harvest

Barlig Mountain Province, Philippines.

It was seven years ago when I last attended a harvest in our village. I am now unemployed and going back to the village made me reunited again to the work of our people, especially the farming and way of living in the village. It might have changed a little bit but I always like to be at home. It is when without those that I won’t feel home. I am rather glad that I still have the opportunity to experience how the tradition and our culture are surviving now a days. Our harvesting is a great experience, only that the presence of my own grandparents seems to be one of those things that I miss the most.
Having a digital camera now is the best way to document our harvest and I was so thankful of it. Our harvest in Tannud is completed by almost twenty people. I am not fast unlike others but I can play my part in the line. It was fun! The day is bright and as sunny as the rice grains were in our hands. The grandchildren of the family looking at our ricefields were there too, they are guarding the cooking pots and sometimes helping us in harvesting. Seeing them reminds me our time when we were as young as them. We are playful too, the best way of being children. Our lunch is strong beans and red rice! Rich foods, that made us tougher to continue our harvest at Kachattay. We had to cross the Tannud River to get to the other side. We were faster now trying to save our harvest in case the rain might come. Seeing other families harvesting their own ricefields down from our location is also an inspiration for us. They are many, we are many and the ricefields are wide. It was a completion at the end just as the afternoon closed. It was a beautiful harvest, bountiful day. Again, I am always worried. In the future, will there be another likes this again? What if our parents die and we no longer don’t know how to plant the seeds, then we no longer won’t harvest. Will the grains be planted and reproduce? Will there be twenty people again to gather together, and will there be ricefields to harvest?

No comments: