Monday, March 12

Cycle for South Africa- a sucess!


Finish line, Nos 22, 23 & 18

Having recently graduated and waiting for a job I decided to give something back to the University and support funding to South Africa. I haven’t cycled 40 miles before and since my accident 4 months ago, I wasn’t really sure how courageous I was to do this.
I’ve turned up and from the start point I met a lovely lady who’s also doing this for the first time. Her English is fluent but she’s surprisingly from Poland; her name is Justyna. We’ve decided to cycle together in the group. We’re in the middle but slowly being passed by other cyclists. I’m sure I’m pedalling the same speed, trying to keep up with those people ahead of me but it seems like I’m being left behind. It is not long before I find myself nearly the last person! However, Justyna is always just 5 meters ahead of me and waits for me at the top.
 To be honest there were one or two hills at the start. Moments of feeling like giving up and asking myself: “Can I do this?!” or “This is crazy!” I have on a few occasions (and indeed, noticed a few others beside) had to push my bike up a hill! Well, I couldn’t prove anything if I’ll be thinking like this. Although my body got tired easily, it's encouraging that some of the paths were reasonably flat and I was told it was going to be a leisurely ride!
 We’ve past Lewes and nearly went the wrong way at the roundabout but we’ve found ourselves on the right track. I and Justyna left a bunch of 5 bikers (who seem to know each other anyway). However, further uphill we’ve missed the right turn (thinking it was still further ahead).
 We carried on and on until we felt it seemed too far for the sign to appear so we stopped and had a thought- we might be lost, we couldn’t figure out the directions on the paper map- but we were supposed to be at Check Point 1 at least an hour ago! Our mobile sat nav shows we were too far up at A26, now towards London! Well, we could either carry on further up the road and take a different route (A22) or we could go back and find the right path. Unfortunately we didn’t know how far back exactly the correct turn was. Then I got a call from the first aider Jackie, we were reported as lost. I was advised to call Garry Sudds (bike maintenance guy) who said, “I know this area very well, stay where you are and don't make any further moves. I'll come and rescue you.” I was quite apologetic but he said, “Don't worry I would rather rescue people than bikes!” Apparently we were 6 miles up farther on the wrong road! He kindly took us to Checkpoint 2, past Arlington. It was a relief, but not far from being rescued we almost got lost again (instruction says there's an alleyway! I wondered if is it because we're foreign non-native English speaking that it's difficult to follow written instructions? Or maybe just lacking a few signs to direct us?! Or are we just missing signs in our eyes?!). Eventually a man opened his door and pointed us to the alleyway. From there on we cycled through beautiful fields until we reached Check point 3: Bexhill seafront
 My butt really hurts and I also desperately need a toilet! Yes I prayed for the strength and determination to do this, but I forgot to pray for the right direction and yet we were placed back on the right track! From Bexhill, Konstantino (guy from Cyprus) joined me and Justyna. He said after he fixed his punctured tyre, he was lost alone earlier too!
      On the last 3 miles was a nice easy cycle through the seafront-no chance to get lost! Suddenly we heard the clapping of hands in front of us! This is it, the finish line! Justyna asked me: “Will there be certificate of achievement?”  Regardless, it'll be an achievement to be remembered! At that time I just wanted to lie flat and rest on the beach stones! It was nearly a 3 hr delay but we made it! What an adventure and challenging experience. The body might want to give up but if mind and spirit is persistent then it’ll get you through to the end.  I shall remember this and Justyna for a new found friend, and Konstantino’s advice and being equally optimistic.  After this she hopes to do London to Brighton cycle and hopes for me to join. I shall think about it properly as I think I need to be a lot fitter for that ride.  As for now I’m happy for this little conquest I’ve done! Of course without my sponsors I won’t be able to do this as well.

I’d like to say thank you to these people who sponsored me in this event: I have raised £87 pounds.

Marketa Ziskova (£1),
Babylyn Frost (£1),
Maya Ondoy (£2),
Dan Ondoy (£3),
Jean Ym Pantilo (£5),
David Concepcion (£5),
Laarnie Barraca Alfonso (£4),
Cristina Pamintuan (£5),
Jerry Pamintuan (£2),
Ted Consolacion (£5),
 Marlet Tomas (£5),
Ayah Consolacion (£2),
Maggie Stewart (£10),
Maureen Walker (£10),
Danuta Piwowarzyk (£2),
Michelle Torres (£5),
David Bauckham (£10),
Rosinah Shookyhe (£5),
Nelson Lucero (£5),

This event is still accepting online donations until the 11/06/12, if you wish to donate please click on my page link www.justgiving.com/cause.

Thank you, Gobless you all.
Lovely day, Hastings seafront. [fr. Konstantinos camera]

Just before take off at Manor House
Checkpoint 3 Bexhill Seafront
View of Hastings Pier-whilst having late lunch
Lemon sun at South Downs Eastbourne, viewed inside Big Lemon Bus

1 comment:

Jana said...

Great and awesome feat my sistahud!!!!!! an epic conquest! what more can I say!...and Blessings indeed!

This Sunday as well, I'm with a group of friends joining in a crowd of thousand peeps for a big marathon for a cause...

Take care always! ^___^ mwah!