Friday, December 12

Igorot consciousness in Marky's success

Quite sad to say really that many Filipinos don't know yet who really the Igorots are. The Igorot villages are hidden by huge and rocket hills of mountains, divided by rivers and boundaries of respected and respective tribes which has helped us formed and maintain our very own cultural beliefs and tradition. Foreign invaders came and and named us collectively "Ygolots", as people from the mountain. My first real visit to the city is going for College or University in Baguio, which the city itself is part of the Cordillera. Here obviously has a mixture of people from the Cordillerans, from the Lowland and other origins from central or southern part of the country. I was at first battling with how life in the city begins. My first unforgetable experience in the university on the first term of being a first year student is very challenging, made me think to myself who the Igorots are in the eyes of other people. When I said I am from the Mountain Province one of my male classmates seated behind me laughingly said "taga bundok ka, di ba kayo yung mga may buntot". I was quite hurt, angry inside me, yet shy as I know I am assertive when with others. I am aware in class that among my classmates there is one from Banaue Ifugao and one from Paracelis Mt. Province and the rest seems to be from the other region of the country. Most of them too are just residents of Baguio city but they probably are not of any tribes from the Cordillera. Reflecting back, I should have shouted to the guy's ugly face if he really understand his criticism, besides what is his issue, anong pakialam niya kung may buntot kami? (my point of view if he meant we have buntot because we wear those bahags and laoy). I did read or saw somewhere that we are are described with buntot because we are ugly like monkeys are which to me is very degrading.... It was wrong that I didn't speak up at that time. Admittedly I was just shy and quite innocent. Now the world has become bigger to me on how I see myself, our indigenous identity, our roots and culture. But still to realize, and I think that the world around us, they are the ones ignorant and innocent of who we are. The Igorots are not ignorant, the ignorant are the people who do not know us and the people who gives up their "being Igorot". Our identity as Indigenous people in the first place are full of misconceptions as you can see in history literature that the foreign authors and even our own co-Filipino authors displayed the Igorot people as ugly, ignorant, uncivilized, lower class Filipinos.. and other negative descriptions about us. For many many years this stigma remained from the many, as it was firstly written! I am a shy person but I have never been ashamed of my roots. I can raise my chin and say I belong to the Igorot tribe. Sadly to say that even other Filipinos I met in overseas do not know exactly who we are. This seems to be a battle for an Igorot like me who is proud of her ancestral roots and culture that we are such people of beauty, art and intelligence. After all those years, our own Marky Cielo from Bauko Mt. Province opened the eyes of everyone that the Igorot has talent and has it's own beautiful identity. "Igorotak" he said infront of the masses. He is proud of his cultural origin. That is what we need, every Igorot must say that. Why would we be ashamed of nothing, but purely misconceptions. If there are disappointing points about the Igorots, it is not enough to make it discriminatory, as everyone, in which place of origin in the country has its own negative positive remarks. Actually the Igorots are unique, like the Mangyans or the Tribes of the south Philippines. There are many people now who come and visit us and learn about our culture and has understand and appreciate us. Our endless towering rice terraces on it's own is a proof of our cleverness, the irrigation system, our chants, our customs in every aspect of life, our dances and prayers,... in every bit of our culture there is value, there is beauty, there is our life, there is our ancestors. My uncle Gabriel Ayeona was recruited as a stuntman during the olden movie times, he apparently played at some point in Digmaan ng mga Maton in 1962 with Joseph Estrada and Fernando Po Jr. He wasn't recruited because of talent but because of his rugged handsome look while he was in Baguio City. He might have a talent in it but sadly to say it has to be brief because he has to go back to his calling wife and demand of work in the eastern Mt. Province. And now at this decade, in many many years, Marky Cielo finally was our success and represented us in the showbiz. He has somehow awaken and united all the Igorots. His life is so young, at age 20, and only few years being actor is very short but very meaningful to all of us. Right now the news of him until his burial and next will be everywhere, in the internet, tv and newspapers. I hope that no exaggeration, no misconception, no wrong informations please. I hope by now they know exactly where Mountain Province is.

The news about Marky Cielo's death is shocking and his lost is very difficult to accept.... but God has his own plan about him. He left us with an Igorot pride and the Igorot consciousness rising in us which I hope will lessen racism and misconceptions about the Igorot people.

With Marky's deeds and success may it serve as continous inspiration to all of us. Marky rest in peace, and to the family, condolence. Thank you and be proud you have such a son, he is yours and always be wherever he is. Marky'is gone but he gave light to all of us, and especially to the Igorots.

Photo source: Starmometer.com. BW photo by Loui Fangki, with Marky Cielo.

------------------------------------------------------
I personally dedicate this photo I took in Bontoc Mountain Province, with love and tribute to you, ading ken kailiyan.


___________________________________________________
Related videos on Marky Cielo's death.

1 comment:

Sendric said...

,,~"wow!,.I mean wow,.how come I never get into auditions,.